This great recipe for ratatouille simply full of oven baked/roasted fresh vegetables can be easily frozen in 5 two person servings and then can be finished off with any of three tasty combinations of flavors including: Greek ratatouille vegetarian bake with feta, Ratatouille vegetarian chili baked potato jackets, Stuffed peppers with ratatouille and cheese.
Ratatouille for the freezer
- 8 oz Red onion Cut into 1" chunks
- 8 oz Yellow onion Cut into 1" chunks
- 20 oz Red and yellow bell peppers De-seeded and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 lbs Zucchini Cut into 1" chunks
- 2 lbs Egg plant
- 4 ea Garlic Clove Crushed
- 28 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 ea Diced tomatoes (14 oz can)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Heat oven to 400 F
- Spread the onions evenly in a roasting pan and season. Roast for 25 minutes until slightly charred and nicely softened
- Repeat the process with the bell peppers roasting for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat again with the zucchini, roasting for 15 minutes
- Slice the eggplant into 1" thick rounds but only cut as many as you can fit into a non-stick frying pan at one time. If you cut too many at once they will brown quickly.
- Cook the eggplant rounds over a high heat until charred on both sides then remove to a microwave safe plate. Repeat untill all the eggplant is cooked.
- Cover the eggplant with cling film and make a couple of holes for steam to escape. Microwave for 5 minutes or until soft. This also may have to be done in batches.
- Cut the eggplant into chunks. If you do not have a microwave just add the eggplant to the mixture in the dutch oven as it simmers
- While the vegetables are roasting, place the garlic in a dutch oven with about 4oz of water and simmer until the water has almost gone, then add the tomatoes (both kinds), the sugar, vinegar and a good seasoning with salt and pepper Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables and mix well. Cool and divide into 5 3 cup containers for freezing.